Microsoft Bringing Hyper-V To Client Editions Of Windows 8

Microsoftannounced via the “Building Windows 8” blog yesterday that at least some client versions of Window 8 will natively support virtualization thought the use of Hyper-V, which has formerly been reserved for only server editions of Windows.

Microsoft’s goal with virtualization on the client editions of its OS is to provide easy-access to virtual machines to software developers and IT professionals who have the need or desire to work across multiple operating systems. From the blog post, “Whether you are a software developer, an IT administrator, or simply an enthusiast, many of you need to run multiple operating systems, usually on many different machines. Not all of us have access to a full suite of labs to house all these machines, and so virtualization can be a space and time saver.” The post continue with, “In building Windows 8 we worked to enable Hyper-V, the machine virtualization technology that has been part of the last 2 releases of Windows Server, to function on the client OS as well. In brief, Hyper-V lets you run more than one 32-bit or 64-bit x86 operating system at the same time on the same computer.”

The video above shows how to install Hyper-V and configure a virtual switch so the VMs can communicate with the host machine and the outside world. As you’ll see, the process is very straight forward, as is creating and installing a new virtual machine. In the video, an ISO of Windows 7 is used to install an OS in the VM.

Although targeted at developers and professionals, having easy access to virtual machines is extremely useful for enthusiasts as well. I have personally used VMs to experiment with other OSes, try out numerous applications, and test out countless tweaks and mods. This is a great move on Microsoft’s part that’s certain to gain favor with enthusiasts and other technical types—mark my words.

The blog post containsmany other technical details and explanations and is worth checking out if you’ve got the time and the topic interests you.

Via:  Microsoft
Comments
omegadraco 3 years ago

This is awesome! this means that I will be able to practice building VMs and messing around with them without having a server version installed on my machine. Especially considering I heard a rumor that Windows Server 2012 will required a quad core processor and 16GB or ram to even run... I hope that is not the case since I like to run a virtual machine of server editions to learn on.

inspector 3 years ago

Most definitely a nice feature to have, will come in handy for people that do a lot of testing of programs and such that require another os.

rrplay 3 years ago

it is a nice feature to have included in the shipping version of Windows 8 and will allow more to run VM natively .pretty cool .From MeeGO to a personal MyGO,& wonder if it will be included on the all the different releases of Win 8. &&& Woo-hoo  !! current ram &HD prices a def made for this !

omegadraco 3 years ago

Yeah rrplay being in the business I am in I always have to have the latest operating systems so that I can learn their nuances. So I will definitely enjoy playing around with some VMs with this. I highly doubt that all versions will ship with this feature probably only the professional and "ultimate" editions.

CDeeter 3 years ago

I think your right, professional and ultimate only. That makes sense to me.

Mike Coyne 3 years ago

Very Interesting to read about Hyper -VM on new Windows 8. I think it sound like good idea and possible to upgrade Windows 8 from Windows 7. (hint Windows 7 and 8 is same OS and just small tweak and update)

rapid1 3 years ago

It does make complete sense though really being as Win8 is supposed to run ITC (in the cloud) as well as on any product be it any modern chip set memory protocol. SO a virtual functionality therefore becomes protocol, not to mention the pluses M$ gets from the hardware partners because 8Gb (or more) of memory, increased CPU and HD functionality also becomes the norm or at least a neccesity.

PhantomGeek 3 years ago

I think this is a smart move on their part. Definitely an incentive to buy a professional or ultimate copy.

jakson0100 3 years ago

Virtualizing Windows 7? So what happened with "virtual windows pc" and "windows xp mode"? You can also run other systems such as Windows Vista or XP, with better integration, or is this only for Windows Server? And the x64 architecture? What will happen to the compatibility of these windows 8? if it integrates and improves "virtual pc windows" in a windows version 8 (not necessarily server) then it is goodbye to alternatives such as VirtualBox or VMware, Until then I expect an answer to these questions i also found the same topic in detail about Bringing Hyper-V to “Windows 8” here http://www.hypervhd.com/hyper-v-install-and-upgrade-f24/bringing-hyper-v-to-windows-8-t1675.html