Kaleidescape is not a company name that goes hand-in-hand with
"inexpensive." It's a company that caters towards high-end home cinema
owners who would like to place their entire film and content collection
on a hard drive, versus having to sort out discs. It's one of the few
factory systems that can rip DVDs and store them with full metadata for
easy browsing on a home theater setup. But in the past, these systems
have costs tens of thousands of dollars, making them very impractical
for all but the most affluent of content consumers.
The company's latest product, the Cinema One, is the first step in the
right direction (price wise). It's still not cheap by any means, but at
least they're starting to cater to those without millions laying around.
This new all-in-one DVD movie server is their first priced below
$5,000, and it's capable of storing 225 DVDs or 2,500 CDs. The kicker is
that it's supposedly as easy to install as a typical DVD player. This
unit is replacing the prior Kaleidescape Mini System, and it eliminates
the need for storage configuration.
Think of this like a DVD player without the disc, or like an HTPC with a
custom UI overlay that helps you search and locate films very
elegantly. All you need to install it is an Internet connection, a TV
and the requisite cabling. The unit can also power two independent music
zones, and for more storage or to share movies with another TV, simply
add another Cinema One or a Kaleidescape player to the home network. At
$4,995, we doubt too many of you will be springing for one, but
hopefully this lower pricing trend makes this kind of equipment
affordable to more people in the years to come.
Kaleidescape Announces Cinema One, an Out-of-the-Box DVD Movie Server, Priced Below $5,000 MSRP in the United States and Canada
Company Targets Broader Market, Provides Features Designed for Young Children
SUNNYVALE, CA - December 2, 2010 - Kaleidescape, Inc., creator of the movie server product category, today announced the availability of Cinema One, an out-of-the-box DVD movie server that provides hassle-free, instant viewing and management of an entire movie collection. As the company's first system priced below $5,000 US MSRP, Cinema One brings the award-winning Kaleidescape experience to a broader set of customers. It also meets the needs of young children by automatically switching to a simplified user interface when the Child Remote is used.
"Our dealers and customers have been asking for a simple-to-install Kaleidescape System," said Michael Malcolm, Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Kaleidescape. "The Cinema One makes it possible for many more customers to enjoy the richness of the Kaleidescape experience."
"The Cinema One is the perfect system for families because DVDs offer the broadest selection of children's content," said Leonard Bellezza, President of Lyric HiFi & Video, a leading high-end audio video custom integrator in New York City for over 51 years. "With the Child Remote, even a toddler can find his own programs, and when he presses play, it starts instantly without trailers, advertisements, and menus."
Offered at $4,995 US MSRP, Cinema One is a single component movie server capable of storing 225 DVDS or 2,500 CDs - yet installs as easily as an ordinary DVD player. Cinema One is based on and replaces the Kaleidescape Mini System, and is ideal for the retail market because it eliminates the need for storage configuration.
* Instant Viewing - Press play and any movie, concert, or television episode starts instantly, without the frustration of having to physically locate the disc, navigate confusing menus, or sit through advertisements. Easily browse and sort an entire collection by title, actor, director, genre, year-of-release, or running time.
* Kid Friendly - Even toddlers can find and play their own movies, and parents have complete control over available content.
* Simple Installation - Installs easily by connecting power, the Internet, and a television display. With the included Kaleidescape Remote and Child Remote, Cinema One is ready for immediate use.
* Independent Music Zones - Includes two independent music zones, enabling a movie to be watched in one room while music is enjoyed in other parts of the home.
* Effortless Expansion - For more storage or to share movies with another TV, simply add another Cinema One or a Kaleidescape player to the home network. In fact, any Kaleidescape component works seamlessly with the Cinema One.