InFocus Reveals 55-inch "Wall Tablet," Charges $6k For It

How small can a screen be before it's no longer a "big-screen TV?" And how large can a tablet be before it's no longer a "tablet?" Two questions that may never have definitive answers, but we're pretty confident that a 55" tablet...isn't actually a tablet. InFocus has just rolled out the first "all-in-one giant tablet," the Windows 7-based Mondopad. It's a fitting name, particularly when you consider that it's a 55" HD wall tablet that boasts touchscreen functionality and support for cloud-based video conferencing.

InFocus has partnered with Vidtel, a cloud video conferencing service provider, to make business-grade video conferencing as easy as making a phone call. Unlike traditional video conferencing, Mondopad requires no upfront infrastructure investment or IT resources, and it connects to all SIP and H.323 standards-based end-points and many proprietary video conferencing platforms—from popular free consumer video conferencing applications like Google Chat, to enterprise telepresence systems from Polycom and Cisco.

There's a 720p HD video camera and soundbar, while the screen itself offers a 1920x1080 native resolution as well as support for multiple touch points and built-in Wi-Fi. It's also shipping this July for $5949, with video conferencing services starting at $49/month. Something tells us that's just a few dollars north of where most tablets are priced.
Via:  InFocus
Tags:  HDTV, display, tablet, infocus
Comments
RSmith 3 years ago

Yeah, of course I want one, lol.

LBowen 3 years ago

Definitely a market with some businesses. Being able to have a board meeting and have access to your office documents while teleconferencing with your partners in Tokyo and using the internet function to show the direction of the market. Having one device for most of your needs is a great thing in today's fast paced business structures.

AKwyn 3 years ago

Obviously this is for the business sector.

Would be cool to have one in the home though.

omegadraco 3 years ago

I so want one of these in my office.... I could run a slide show of student work on it when I am not using it. Video meetings with the bosses would no longer be a problem I would just use my Mondopad (What a name).

LBowen 3 years ago

Research laboratories and Ivy League schools would find this useful as well of course. The price would have to go down of course to make it a more practical purchase.

Cawalmanza 3 years ago

Table is small size between 6' to 12 inch others can call smart tv

OptimusPrimeTime 3 years ago

"Pretty neat, but for $5949, the web cam should have been full 1080p."

-Optimus

omegadoom13 3 years ago

It would make for a very cool touch screen dining table... or coffee table. If only I were willing to pay the premium price for one right now.

AKwyn 3 years ago

[quote user="omegadoom13"]

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY]

inspector 3 years ago

Pretty neat, can't wait to carry this beast around with me :P j/k.

"Something tells us that's just a few dollars north of where most tablets are priced."

HAHA yes a few dollars :D