Those new to the storage
market may be unfamiliar with G-Technology. It
was a company swallowed by Hitachi
a few years back, and it remains
(quietly) one of the more stylish HDD
brands on the market today. The
only real competition in terms of design is given by LaCie, but today
G-Tech is taking a step in the right direction by proving that they also
The company just announced that they are transitioning their entire line
(the G-SPEED RAID one, anyway) to high-grade, enterprise-class hard
drives. With solutions ranging from the new four-bay G-SPEED Q
with a quad interface to the 16-bay Fibre Channel G-SPEED FC XL, all
G-Tech G-SPEED products will feature Hitachi Ultrastar drives, which
should allow these drives to last longer and perform better under
sustained heavy loads. These drives are designed, manufactured and
meet the demanding environments found in data centers around the
world, so they should do just fine in your home storage array.
The move to enterprise also positions the company to sell more to video
editors and those who archive lots of content; enterprise drives are
less likely to fail, and since they're built from the ground-up to
multi-user, 24x7 storage applications in systems such as network
attached storage, RAID storage arrays and media servers, they
should handle most everything that you may toss at it. The new G-SPEED Q
solution is shipping today, with more details on each below.
G-Technology G-SPEED Family Goes Enterprise-Class
Extending its Quality Brand in the A/V Market it Pioneered, G-Tech by Hitachi is Shipping its G-SPEED RAID Storage Solutions with Enterprise-Class Hard Drives, Delivering More Value at the Same Affordable Price
AMSTERDAM--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As the premium brand serving content creators and the professional audio/video (A/V) community, G-Technology™ by Hitachi today announced that its transitioning its entire G-SPEED RAID external storage family to high-grade, enterprise-class hard drives. With solutions ranging from the new four-bay G-SPEED™ Q with a quad interface to the storage performance mammoth, the 16-bay Fibre Channel G-SPEED FC XL, all G-Tech G-SPEED products will feature Hitachi Ultrastar™ drives, one of the industry’s most reliable and trusted enterprise-class hard drives that are specifically designed, manufactured and tested to meet the demanding environments found in data centers around the world.
“With our relentless commitment to quality and performance, our G-Tech solutions have been the go-to storage tool in the A/V industry”
With a continued focus on delivering the industry’s most trusted, high performance, and reliable solutions for content creators, G-Tech’s move to integrate enterprise-class hard drives better meets today’s escalating HD video editing needs in multi-drive RAID environments. Like workloads in a data center, post-production storage solutions are accessing and streaming critical HD video as editors pore through footage to assemble the perfect sequence. These users cannot afford dropped frames, latency issues or compromised reliability as their livelihood depends on the content they create. Because of this stringent requirement, G-Tech has optimized its G-SPEED family to better balance the system requirements with hard drive features that match the rigors of the post workload.
Enterprise-Class Hard Drive Benefits
Enterprise-class SATA hard drives are specifically designed to withstand multi-user, 24x7 storage applications in systems such as network attached storage, RAID storage arrays and media servers.1 For enhanced reliability, enterprise-class drives are rated at 1.2 million hours mean time between failure2 (MTBF) and receive additional manufacturing testing at extended temperature ranges to ensure a target of less than one non-recoverable bit error per 1015 bits read. They also utilize enterprise-specific firmware to minimize the performance impact of rotational vibration interference (RVI) found in rack-mounted servers and multi-drive storage arrays. In addition, enterprise-class drives are designed for a low dollar per GB ratio with higher reliability, while minimizing power consumption. Combine all this with G-Tech’s proven quality reputation, and G-Tech has raised the bar in delivering storage solutions specifically designed for the professional content creation market.
“With our relentless commitment to quality and performance, our G-Tech solutions have been the go-to storage tool in the A/V industry,” said Mike Williams, vice president and general manager, Branded Business for Hitachi Global Storage Technologies. “With increased demands on RAID systems for HD video editing, it is important to properly balance the system requirements with hard drive features that match the rigors of this environment. Now with enterprise-class drives, the G-SPEED family may prove to be the best RAID solutions in terms of quality, value and performance.”
G-Tech is the only external storage vendor in the world with a complete line of enterprise-class 7200 RPM drive-based, RAID external storage solutions specifically designed for the A/V market. The G-SPEED family includes:
* G-SPEED Q – G-Tech’s new high-performance, four-bay, hot-swappable RAID storage solution. Comes equipped with 3Gbit eSATA, FireWire 800, FireWire 400 (via cable) and USB 2.0. The internal RAID controller supports RAID 0 and 5. Portable, small footprint is ideal for laptop applications where high capacity and RAID protection are important. Capacities up to 8TB.
* G-SPEED eS – High-speed, low-cost RAID solution with 3Gbit eSATA connectivity. Ships with a RAID controller supporting levels 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD. Supports multi-stream SD, ProRes 422 and uncompressed HD workflows. Four-bay hot-swappable unit, starting at 8TB per unit with the ability to scale up to 32TB.
* G-SPEED eS Pro – Mini Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) connectivity provides Fibre Channel-like performance at a fraction of the cost. Bundled with a high-speed, eight-lane PCIe RAID controller that supports RAID levels 0, 1, 3, 5 and 6. Offers amazing speed for uncompressed HD and 2K workflows. Four-bay hot-swappable unit starts at 8TB per unit and can scale to 16TB.
* G-SPEED eS PRO XL - High performance, huge capacity and low-cost, rack-mount storage solution for high-end HD and 2K film production. Ships with a two-port mini-SAS RAID controller card and a locking, two-meter mini-SAS cable. Can scale from a 12TB 2U solution up to 192TB. The PCIe x8 RAID controller supports JBOD and RAID levels 0, 1, 3, 5 and 6. Up to eight G-SPEED eS PRO XL units can be connected to one RAID controller card.
* G-SPEED FC XL – Professional 12- and 16-bay rack-mount solutions with 8Gb/s dual Fibre Channel for fail-safe SAN or adding high performance RAID storage to existing XSan2 / metaSAN networks. Easily supports multi-stream, multi-user uncompressed SD, HD and 2K post production workflows. Offers RAID levels 0, 1, 3, 5, 6 and JBOD. Capacities up to 32TB per unit. Using the available SAS expansion port, it is scalable up to 256TB by attaching G-Tech’s G-SPEED eS PRO XL units to the chassis.
The new G-SPEED Q solution is shipping today. All other G-SPEED products with enterprise-class drives will be shipping in October. Please visit www.g-technology.com for more information.