Fujifilm's X100 isn't your average camera
. In fact, it's no one's
average camera. It's a high-end point-and-shoot. A compact that runs
well over $1k, yet doesn't have a zoom. But the design and image quality
is unparalleled, and evidently that's good enough for some. There's a
major APS-C sensor in there, and tons of good looks, but the X100
born with a few issues, just as most first-run devices are. Thankfully,
most modern-day devices can also handle a firmware update, which enables
manufacturers to improve upon products that are already in the hands of
Fujifilm has announced that their X100 firmware is now up to v1.10,
which clears up a bunch of settings that reverted themselves, among
other things. The entire list of changes are below, and they're
numerous. If you happened to drop some serious money on this, you owe it
to yourself to give this one a download.
FinePix X100 Firmware Update Ver.1.10
Applicable model: FinePix X100
• Detail of the update
The firmware update Ver.1.10 incorporates the following issues.
The contents of the owner's manual will be partly changed along with this update.
Please check them in detail.
1. The following functions can be rocked during shooting by holding
down [MENU / OK] button over 3 sec. DRIVE / Flash / White balance /
Macro (set on the Command Dial - 4 direction key)
2. "CORRECTED AF FRAME" menu is added in "SET-UP" menu (the last line
on menu page 6) to display additional AF frame (corrected AF frame for
reducing parallax) which can be effectively used for macro shots.
(Factory default value is set to "OFF")
3. Adjustment in1/3 step increment for shutter speed or aperture
setting is enabled in Shutter-Priority AE and Aperture-Priority AE mode,
on top of those in Manual Exposure mode. Shutter-Priority AE :
Adjustment is controlled by rotating the command dial Aperture-Priority
AE : Adjustment is controlled by moving left / right on the command
4. In the post-view mode (display after shooting), focused area is
magnified in the LCD (EVF) display when the command control lever is
pressed. Cf. "IMAGE DISP." Setting must be set to "CONTINUOUS",
5. Setting of the role for "Fn" button is enabled by holding down "Fn" button over 3 sec.
6. Actual ISO sensitivity for shooting is displayed just after
pressing shutter button halfway, when "ISO AUTO CONTROLL" is set to ON.
7. When "eye sensor" is activated by pressing "VIEW MODE" button, "EYE
SENSOR" is displayed on EVF / OVF or LCD just a while to notice the
8. Macro mode ISO sensitivity, Drive mode, Dynamic range, Self-timer
mode, flash mode is maintained even if shutter speed setting or aperture
setting is changed. Also, even after changing viewing mode into
shooting mode or turning of the camera, these values are maintained.
9. The size of focus frame set through viewing EVF / LCD is maintained
even after changing display mode between OVF and EVF (LCD).
10. When "SHUTTER SOUND" is chosen, each shutter sound is performed in each menu setting.
11. In viewing mode, the last viewed shot is maintained as even after
changing into shooting mode. Cf. After another image is shot after
viewing former image, memory of viewing the image is cancelled and the
last shot is displayed as the latest image.
12. When the aspect ration of the image size is set to 16:9, the line
of bright frame line on OVF is displayed with aspect ratio 16:9.
13. Viewing mode with Photo Information on EVF / LCD is maintained
even if another image is shot. On top of this issue, deleting picture
directly is enabled even in viewing with Photo information by pressing
the command dial up, or MENU operation is also enabled.
14. Occasionally, preview image on EVF / LCD after pressing the
shutter halfway might be darker than live view, according to aperture
setting or brightness of shooting target. This phenomenon is improved.
15. When "DISP. CUSTOM SETTING" is set to OVF or EVF / LCD, the setting value is maintained even after customizing the menu.
16. Even for only RAW data recording mode, "RED EYE REMOVAL" setting is selectable among ON or OFF.
17. In MF (manual focus) setting with OVF mode, OVF viewing is
activated after pressing shutter half way, even if "FOCUS CHECK"
(magnifying center of the image) is displayed in EVF by pressing the
center of the command control lever.
18. Displaying period after pressing each command dial (Macro / Flash)
is prolonged from 1.5 sec into 2.0 sec for confirming correctly.
20. For resuming from AUTO POWER OFF setting, the shutter release
button was required to hold down halfway for a few second. For quicker
operation, resuming is activated by just pressing the button.
21. Image quality captured by Velvia / ASTIA mode is improved on
mainly shadow tone (dark area), when dynamic range is set to 200% or
22. When "OVF POWER SAVE MODE" is set to ON and "Fn" button is set to
"MOVIE RECORDING", the camera may be unstable occasionally. This
phenomenon is improved.
23. Histogram display on OVF during exposure compensation is improved.
The firmware up date ver.1.01 incorporates the improvement against inadequate operation shown in the following.
1. If the images are shot with ISO Bracketing mode when "QUICK START
MODE"(*1) is set to "ON" and turn off the camera,the camera cannot be
turned on again even with ordinary operation.
*1 Menu of "QUICK START MODE" is set to "OFF" as factory-default value.
1. If firmware updating fails, the camera may no longer operate
correctly in some cases. Carefully read the notes provided here.
2. Always use the fully-charged NP-95 battery when updating the
firmware as a basic manner. Never turn the camera off or attempt to use
any of the camera controls while the firmware is being overwritten.
3. Firmware updating requires approximately 90 seconds.
4. Once the firmware has been updated, the previous version cannot be restored.