Fear, Excitement and Loathing Seen In Questions Surrounding Windows 7 Launch

Heads-up, PC enthusiasts! Windows 7--Microsoft's self-proclaimed "best OS ever" is launching to the public tomorrow. Tomorrow, junior! It hasn't even been three full years since the launch of Windows Vista, but already Microsoft is looking to put the past behind it and get on with the new. A recent survey by iYogi has taken a look at what the hottest Windows 7 trends are, and what people are talking about.

The most popular topics? Most of it revolves around the fear of the unknown, which isn't at all shocking. Upgrading to a new OS is child's play for experienced PC users and builders, but for the average person, this is a huge, huge deal. Most folks are resistant to change when something seems to be working fine.  Even when they know an upgrade is necessary, it still worries them to dive in to the great unknown.

Topics like "will I need to re-install Office when I upgrade to Windows 7?" and "what's new with the Windows 7 task bar?" are at the top, which means that people are both interested in what's new but scared of what might change. Another interesting tidbit is that a lot of comparison seems to be going on between Windows 7 and Windows XP. In fact, we'd say there are just as many questions from XP users as Vista users, proving that a huge amount of PC users decided not to upgrade to Vista when they had the chance.

Please, just don't break Solitaire...

We'll be taking a deeper look at some of the features that will make Windows 7 tower over Vista as the launch gets official, but for now, we're curious as to what questions you have surrounding Windows 7. Are you worried about the upgrade? Will you be one of the first in line to snag a copy of the forthcoming OS?  What's been the buzz at your water cooler?
iYogi Identifies Top Ten Trends for  Microsoft Windows 7 Launch

Online Conversations Tracking Across Forums, Review and Social Media Websites: Application Compatibility, Migration and New Features Top the List of Topic Areas Discussed Around the Upcoming Windows 7 Launch

New York, NY, October 20, 2009:  iYogi, the fastest growing on-demand tech services company, announced today the results of tracking tens of thousands of online conversations around the subject of Microsoft Windows 7.  In a look at online discussions over the last week in ten widely used forums, 25 review sites, and four of the largest social networks, iYogi found that application compatibility and migration by far topped the list, followed by discussions around features and performance.

Top ten issues, along with examples of actual quotes from each conversation topic include:

1.    Application compatibility, portability and migration
“Do I need to re-install Microsoft Office when I upgrade to Windows 7?”

2.    New Features
“Does Windows 7 have the functionality of XP and appearance of Vista?” and “What’s new with the Windows 7 task bar?”

3.    Performance
“Is Windows 7 faster that XP or Vista?”

4.    Getting ready for windows 7
“Is my computer ready for Windows 7 and is it good for running games?”

5.    User interface
“Does Windows 7 look and feel like Mac?”

6.    Windows 7 Networking
“Can I connect with my second computer that runs XP and also share my printer?”

7.    Windows 7 hardware compatibility
“Will I need to re-install software again for my camera and phone?”

8.    Windows 7 Installation, setup and deployment
“How much time will it take me to install Windows 7?”

9.    Price
“Will the price for Windows 7 drop in the future?”

10.    Media center
“Can I make videos and does 7 have movie maker like XP?”

iYogi’s tracking of online topics reviewed discussions in
•    Forums such as MSDN, TechNet, Yahoo Answers, Yahoo Groups, Google Groups, Google blog search, laptop forum, and notebook forums
•    Review sites like Amazon, BestBuy, buzzilions, CNET reviews, epinions, laptop community, Newegg, notebook review, and product wiki
•    Social networks including Facebook, Linkedin, Myspace & Twitter

Polls conducted by iYogi have indicated that nearly 70 percent of users are not entirely comfortable that they will be able to easily move their favorite applications over to the new Windows 7 platform, and nearly half expect to need more tech support help in order to do so.

Well, truth told it's safe to say that Redmond has likely done their homework on this OS but you can never be too sure.  So, as we've told you many times before, back-up that data early and often boys and girls.  And when in doubt, just procrastinate, at least until the first service pack.
Via:  iYogi
Comments
3vi1 5 years ago

I'm not sure why there'd be much fear. The changes from Vista aren't really that drastic, except for the name and slightly larger icons, of course.

Expect video performance enhancements (improved DRM code), and the same gaming performance.

(Created with The Gimp)

3vi1 5 years ago

Correction: Found the benchmarks from next month's Maximum PC. Gaming on the whole comes out even. A little better in DX10 games, worse in DX9.  A little bit worse on ATI cards (3%), a little bit better on nVidia (3%).

3vi1 5 years ago

And by "not that drastic" changes, I'm specifically referring to the utilization of the same driver model as Vista. Since it's using the same drivers, there won't be that big period of driver unavailability/instability that was experienced when Vista was first introduced.

This is more Win95->Win98 type incremental improvements.

In related news, the Kubuntu 9.10 RC comes out tomorrow, with the new and improved KDE4.3 desktop.  :)

gibbersome 5 years ago

3vi1, That picture is priceless!!

3vi1 5 years ago

Well that's interesting... Someone (HH staff?) deleted the Win7of9 image from my files so it's no longer appearing in the first post.

I'm pretty sure there was nothing offensive in the image. It's a satirical work of my own creation, so I don't see any legal reason it should have been deleted.  :\

Edit:  Well, I see nothing in my inbox notifying me it was deleted, so I'll assume there was some technical problem.  I've re-uploaded the image.

Super Dave 5 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

Well that's interesting... Someone (HH staff?) deleted the Win7of9 image from my files...I've re-uploaded the image.

Allow me to post another image as back-up in case it happens again:

3vi1 5 years ago

And it *has* happened again. :(

And I can't get to my profile. I get "service unavailable".

3vi1 5 years ago

Looks like the site's having major problems ATM... can't even get to the forums. I can see the pic you posted though.

Super Dave 5 years ago

Yes, I have been getting the 'Service Unavailable' message since late last night, but things seem to be OK now. I wonder what happened!

rapid1 4 years ago

The reasons are or were because of what happened with Vista. Of course this worry seems to have left as 7 has been named the fastest adopted version of windows ever now

Soupstyle 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

slightly larger icons

I enjoy looking at those (her) slightly larger icons though!

Inspector 4 years ago

LMFAO! HAHA :D

Enjoy staring :D

ClemSnide 5 years ago

"Windows 7. It doesn't suck as bad as Windows Vista!"

Where do I apply for that slogan-writer's job?

Super Dave 5 years ago

[quote user="ClemSnide"]

"Windows 7. It doesn't suck as bad as Windows Vista!"

Where do I apply for that slogan-writer's job?

Apple?

3vi1 5 years ago

LoL!

realneil 5 years ago

It's too bad they didn't do the right thing and reduce the price of this OS considering the steaming pile of crap that was Vista. They stole money from the public that time and really owed it to the 'Vista-Bitten' to make it right.

Win7 works well and I like it.

Crisis Causer 5 years ago

realneil, it's definitely cheaper especially if you look around the right places

mentaldisorder 5 years ago

[quote user="realneil"]

Win7 works well and I like it.

I take it that you never used vista?

gibbersome 5 years ago

Nah, I think the point realneil is trying to make is that Vista users should be allowed free upgrades for all the frustration Vista put them through.

I guess from Microsoft's perspective, they want to follow a tick tock strategy akin to Intels. Except they seem to seem to think "tick" implies, ticking off their consumers with a piece of crap OS.

Windows 95 (tick) Windows 98 (tock)

Windows Me (tick) Windows XP (tock)

Windows Vista (tick) Windows 7 (tock)

3vi1 5 years ago

Holy moley... I think you're onto something there.

realneil 5 years ago

Mentaldisorder said:     "I take it that you never used vista?"

I used Vista. I bought a new "Vista Capable" laptop and it never worked worth a crap. Updates didn't help, doubling the RAM didn't help, replacing the 5400 RPM drive with a 7200 RPM drive didn't help either. I finally installed XP on it and it worked fine. Then the first Vista service pack came out so I reinstalled it and it worked better,........but not fast, not snappy,....not as it should have. That same laptop runs Win7 with no problems and is a good performer now.

I had Vista 64 Bit Ultimate on two desktops at the same time. Both have 8GB RAM and are Quad Core Phenoms. They were slow,....poky,.....crappy with Vista installed. The service Pack helped them to be more STABLE, but the performance still sucked. Win7 drastically changed them for the better too.

Vista was a steaming pile and was a ripoff. As I said before, they stole from us with Vista.

ClemSnide 5 years ago

Hmm, gibbersome, so in that case we should avoid Windows 8 in favor of Windows 9. I'll remember that!

So would that also be Windows CE (tick), Windows Mobile (tock)? I've never used the latter, but there's no way that it can be worse than WinCE.

3vi1 5 years ago

I think the Sega Dreamcast supported Windows CE... which is weird... because I liked it.

JCCIII 5 years ago

Today, in retrospect, seeing the way Microsoft uses its money to control us by keeping games from other platforms, I want to note what is especially frustrating. It is telling of the company's intentions, through its actions, these last five years. Microsoft pays to keep games away from the PC, but also sold us on, 'Our operating systems will become the best gaming platform ever,' noting XP commercials; this is defrauding us, and by keeping DirectX 10 from XP, for its garbage Vista, Microsoft boldly shows no shame. As if we needed to finance the company's beta to Windows 7, which is what Microsoft executives do, when we let them, sell us betas and lie to us.