DDRdrive Redefines Solid-State Storage

When a traditional hard drive doesn’t offer enough bandwidth to meet your needs, many users turn to solid state disks, or SSDs. These storage devices are built using memory chips. The downside is that these disks are typically very expensive.  SSDs are available with flash memory that can retain content when power is lost, but the drives often use volatile DRAM memory to achieve the best possible performance. DDRdrive’s latest offering provides users with the benefits of both types of memory.

DDRdrive recently introduced the new DDRdrive X1 that incorporates both DRAM and NAND. Each DDRdrive X1 offers 4GB of storage capacity with 4GB DRAM and 4GB of NAND. Both solid-state technologies work together to combine the speed, reliability, and longevity of DRAM with the non-volatility of NAND.

Instead of using a STAT or an UltraATA/100 interface like some competing solutions use, the DDRdrive X1 is based on PCI Express. DDRdrive's Christopher George says this will enable the DDRdrive X1 to achieve higher bandwidth than its competitors.

The designer of this card had IOPS performance in mind. DDRdrive boasts that the DDRdrive X1 is the “drive for speed.” For excellent end-to-end IOPS optimization, the IOPS Engine is controlled by a highly tuned device driver. In order to achieve excellent IOPS performance, all IO operating are directed to the DRAM. The NAND performs an entire drive backup or restore in as little as 60 seconds.

The DDRdrive X1 doesn’t use an integrated battery. Instead DDRdrive’s solution offers a power adapter at the back of the board that allows the user to connect the card directly to a power supply or a high-capacity external battery. Using Microsoft Windows built-in RAID support, the DDRdrive X1 can be spanned (for capacity), striped (for performance), mirrored (for redundancy), and RAID-5 configured.

The DDRdrive X1 supports Windows 2000 Client/Server, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 Beta, and Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2 Beta. Linux support is expected at a future date. The DDRdrive X1 uses a PCI Express X1 full-height half-length form factor. As we suggested earlier, SSDs and this type of performance come at a steep price. The DDRdrive X1 4GB/4GB with an AC adapter and transport case costs $1,495 and comes with a five year limited warranty.

Via:  DDRdrive
Comments
acarzt 5 years ago

I don't see much of a market for this. What are the transfer speeds? For that price I could get a few SSDs and a good RAID controller and run a wicked fast RAID0.

nelsoncp21 5 years ago

Didn't Gigabyte come out with this or was it someone else a couple years back. I know someone already had 1 of these on the market but it never really took off since it was so expensive to fill the slots with ram and it was so limited in space. If my memory serves me correctly HH had an article on it.

acarzt 5 years ago

Yea, someone already did it, and they were claiming huge iops too. But it never took off.

amdcrankitup 5 years ago

[quote user="nelsoncp21"]

I remember that it was about 4 or five years ago it was called I-Ram it was supposed to replace existing hard drives but didnt fly and was very expensive to!

Check it out!   Also a Link:

nelsoncp21 5 years ago

ah AMD you found it. I thought it was Gigabyte. Guess I do have a few brain cells left. I remeber cause everyone here was drooling over it saying they would wait till prices droped and it never took off. Of course we all drool over alot of hardware here. 1 thing i guess we all have in common.

acarzt 5 years ago

That isn't the one I was thinking of... there was an other one by an other company that was far less known. There was an article about it here on HH.

*edit*

Fusion-io is who I was thinking of... But I must have been mixing the 2 up a bit. This one has all the storage already on the device... Oh well... Everyone seems to be coming out with stuff just like these guys' device. I think they were the first to do it tho. Now OCZ, and everyone else has one coming...

DDRdriveLLC 5 years ago

Clarifications from the CTO of DDRdrive LLC:

The DDRdrive X1 was singularly designed to target IOPS intensive applications while setting a new standard in performance, power, and price.

In other words, a product exclusively targeted for the enterprise market, i.e. not the consumer market. What's the difference?

In a word - IOPS (Input/Output Operations Per Second).

The DDRdrive X1 is the highest performing (300,000+ IOPS), most power efficient (33uW/IOPS) and lowest price (0.005 $/IOPS) internal storage device in existence.

For a significant class of applications (database tables, indices, and transaction logs) that are capacity constrained, we are an extremely potent and unique solution.

The drive for speed,

Christopher George

Founder/CTO

DDRdrive LLC

www.ddrdrive.com

nelsoncp21 5 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds as if there could be a huge benfit to this technology but like you said not for consumers.

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

I couldn't find the forums posting, but I found this http://hothardware.com/Articles/Gigabyte-IRAM-Storage-Device1/?page=1