Maybe we're just cursed with short memories, but it sure feels like the SSD market place
is exploding. Every week or so we're being introduced to a company we'd never heard of before, and while we can't say that solid state drive prices are anywhere close to reasonable yet, adding new competitors to the field certainly can't hurt things.
Cactus Technologies (yes, seriously) has today introduced an entire family of 2.5" industrial SATA II SSD drives. The 602 lineup are said to be the highest performing industrial flash storage products that the outfit has developed, but it's hard to say exactly how notable that is. At any rate, the drives will soon be available in capacities of 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB, and Cactus promises that they'll provide up to 140Mbytes/sec sustained read and 85Mbytes/sec sustained write performance.
As with most SSD makers, Cactus isn't coming clean with pricing details, but the detailed specifications are below:
The Cactus Technologies 602 Series industrial 2.5" SATA II family of Solid State Drives offers:
* Capacities of 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128Gbytes
* Support for SATA I (1.5Gbits/sec) and SATA II (3.0 Gbits/sec) transfer rates
* up to 140Mbytes/sec sustained read and 85Mbytes/sec sustained write performance
* Industry Standard 2.5" form factor
* Support for up to UDMA Mode 5, PIO Mode 4 and MWDMA Mode 2.
* BOM Control & Long Life Cycles
* >2 Million endurance cycles per block
* Optional extended temperature range of -45C to +90C
* Altitude spec of 100,000 feet
* Powerful 8-bit ECC, Industrial Grade Wear Leveling and Defect Management
* Flash Power Down Logic
* >4 Million Hour Mean Time Between Failure
* Operational Shock of 1000G and Vibration of 30G Peak-to-Peak