Arizona School Bus Gains Wi-Fi, Students Amazingly Do More Work

"Kids these days" has never had a deeper meaning. Back in our day, rolling along on the school bus was a painful experience. The only chance we had to break from the misery was to bust out a textbook and start studying (not gonna happen), or if we were lucky, we'd get a driver nice enough to allow us to use our Walkman while riding.

These days, kids have it made. A school in the south of Arizona has been experimenting with a new kind of bus, and apparently the results have been incredible. Bus No. 92 near Vail, AZ is equipped with Wi-Fi, and students are not only allowed to surf the Web while riding to and from school, they're encouraged to do so. It's not that having the Internet on a vehicle is anything new; consumers can get Wi-Fi integrated into their General Motors car right now if you choose to pay for it.

What's unique is that a school is encouraging the use of laptops and mobile web-enabled devices on a bus. Contrary to what you may expect, this Wi-Fi installation has actually curbed mischievous behavior on the bus. Many students are using the ride to handle homework instead of just goofing off, and teachers are apparently noticing that more assignments are being turned in on time thanks to the additional time that they have to work on tasks. We can only hope that more schools take notice of this and start to implement similar options for students, but hopefully teachers won't counter by giving folks more homework just because the ride to and from school has been transformed into an extended school session.
Via:  NY Times
Tags:  WiFi, Internet, school, bus
Comments
Soupstyle 4 years ago

What kind of ridiculous bus is that? It doesn't look like a school bus more like a luxury charter bus. I would've done more work on a bus if it had tables when I went to school (not to mention that there was nothing even remotely like a laptop back then).

Soupstyle 4 years ago

If laptops were available cheaply when I was going to school (they weren't even made, except for those briefcase bricks, until I was in high school) and the internet had been accessible via something better than a 56k modem, yea, I probably still wouldn't have brought it to school because I'd be afraid it'd get stolen/broken/vandalized. (And staying late after school for sports and other activities put you at bigger risk due to leaving your backpack/bookbag somewhere that is usually out of your sight.

gibbersome 4 years ago

Lol soupstyle, I was thinking the same thing. This school must in a VERY rich part of town, that looks like a limo more than a school bus.

The picture has nothing to do with the story though, this is a more accurate representation:

[View:http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/02/12/us/12bus_CA0/12bus_CA0-popup.jpg]

3vi1 4 years ago

>> "Arizona School Bus Gains Wi-Fi, Students Amazingly Do More Work"

How do they measure "work done"? Because, by my reckoning : "Homework just got a hell of a lot easier to copy on the way to school.".

Bighorse 4 years ago

Lol, if I was in school on this bus, I would have me a M11X and so do "Homework" all the time. Many zombies will die for the good of education.

Inspector 4 years ago

LMFAO, It would be great but i don't take the bus ;). All the extra hw being handed in is probably like 3vi1 said, they are coping it on the way to school :(

[quote user="gibbersome"]

that is related because thats one of the pics for it :D lol http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/education/12bus.html?hp

rapid1 4 years ago

Yes and no I guess, if you knew you had an hour to do your home work on the way home, and then did not have to worry about doing it or doing as much when you get there, I think it would be cool. I don't know if kids would do that, but on this bus I guess a percentage does. As far as it goes if there parents were notified they would have the opportunity some parents probably told there kids they better have some % done.

realneil 4 years ago

A filtered web experience would be OK with me, if only for the peace it affords the bus driver. Kids can be a terrible distraction to a bus driver, I know.

Philipio 4 years ago

I'm sure some kids would use the wifi to their advantage with homework but I honestly can't see that being the majority. I know if I were on that bus I would just be wasting time browsing the web, haha.

blazarcher 4 years ago

Here in NYC most people just take the subway to get around and that includes going to school for most students. It would be nice though to have sort of hotspot on the trains as well. Hopefully these overwhelming positive remarks should convince the rest of the nation to implement similar tech on their school buses.

Inspector 4 years ago

Make them have a closed spot on the train where u pay to get in and have internet Wink But we all know it won't happen like that :(

Inspector 4 years ago

rapid1 4 years ago

Yeah this could be a good idea and a bad one. I think if they tell the students they can have access. However; only to sites that are related to what they are supposed to be studying as per the teacher or school network, then there may be some positive action, if not I see a lot of games and facebook myspace etc.