Acer Unleashes Affordable, Touchscreen Chromebook

With technology, it's expected that as time passes, our products will become ever more robust, but there's also a chance that they will become more robust and cost less. A perfect example of this is with Acer's just-announced C720P touchscreen Chromebook, a product that would have been impossible to release just a couple of years ago without a much higher price tag.

On the Chromebook side, Acer's C720 series has been well-received overall, especially on the value front. The C720P, then, hasn't been changed too much so as to mess up the formula. Under the hood is an Intel Haswell-based Celeron 2955U (a dual-core clocked at 1.4GHz), a 32GB solid-state drive (allowing a boot-up time of just 7 seconds), 2GB of RAM, 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, and of course, the touchscreen display, which sticks to the 11.6-inch form factor and features a 1366x768 resolution.

Per Acer: "The Acer C720 Chromebook line has been praised for its performance and battery life, and this new touchscreen model allows us to address the needs of an even wider range of customers with exciting new capabilities. We’re certain many holiday shoppers will jump at the chance to get a touchscreen Chromebook for just $299.99."

It's hard to disagree there. Given the notebook's specs, and the fact that it has a touchscreen, $300 sounds like a good deal for those who are looking to pick up a Chromebook. As someone who demands a touchscreen on any future notebook (a stark contrast to my opinion before using one), I wouldn't hesitate to pick up this notebook for when my work needs are a bit lighter. The projected 7.5 hour battery-life sure adds to that pull. A great-looking release overall.

Via:  HotHardware
Comments
NielsDaniel one year ago

Except for the Chromebook Pixel offcourse ;)

digitaldd one year ago

Isn't the idea of the Chromebook that it is affordable. So why hype a $300 low-end notebook when there are quite a few in the $150-250 range that will do the job just as well. In fact you can get a regular laptop for just $50 more that has so-so specs.

HanyangXu one year ago

I still don't see the point of having a touchscreen laptop. Tablet convertibles I get, but why use the touchscreen when there's a much better keyboard right in front of you?

FJakimowicz one year ago

and i still don't see the point on buying a chromebook... do they really have a market or it's only fueled by google's money?

scolaner one year ago

Personally, I think chromebooks fit into something of a niche in the market, but I believe that niche is one that a lot of people fall into even though they don't realize it.

digitaldd one year ago

[quote user="scolaner"]

While that is definitely possible, most people have no idea where they fit. I mean how many folks with MS Office actually know how to use more the 10-20% of Word/Excel many of those folks can actually get by with a web based office suite without realizing it.

then there's this..