ATI Radeon HD 5670: DX11 For Under $100

AMD continues their barrage of DirectX-11 class GPU releases with the affordably priced ATI Radeon HD 5670. If you remember all the way back to September of last year, AMD had committed--or at the very least planned--to release multiple new GPUs, at various price points up and down the spectrum. First came the Radeon HD 5800 series, quickly followed by the 5700 series, and then came the ultra-powerful Radeon HD 5970, all in the span of about two months. Here are we are now, a little less than two months removed from the Radeon HD 5970 launch, and AMD is ready with yet another new card, this time targeted at the sub-$100 price segment.

As its name suggests, the ATI Radeon HD 5670 shares a number of features with its higher-end counterparts in the Radeon HD 5000 series, like Eyefinity and full DX11 support. Come along for the ride as we show you the new Radeon HD 5670, discuss its specifications, and ultimately take it for a spin through a number of benchmarks...

ATI Radeon HD 5670: DX11 For Under $100

Via:  HotHardware
Tags:  AMD, ATI, Radeon, Gaming, graphics, GPU
Comments
rapid1 4 years ago

I really wonder when they will drop the 5980 and or upgraded 5970 with the smaller nm faster DDR5 and faster than stock 5870 dual GPU's as the top of the line. As for right now a crossfire 5850 setup does better performance although small, than a 5970 so you know they have a surprise in there pocket when Nvidia gets there next big gun out. Although from what I heard in the convention tweeting Nvidias next GPU is going to of course outperform anything ATI has out now. From what I was reading that could be anywhere from nominally outperform to substantial. Either way it outperforms the current top of the market GPU.

acarzt 4 years ago

On paper, Nvidia's new card appears to have more than twice the power of the current cards. I'm very curious of how it will perform in the real world.

This new ATI card is priced right in line with the 240 and has pretty much the exact same performance. Good job on ATI, but I think Nvidia is a better known name and will probably get more sales simply because of that.

gibbersome 4 years ago

I think it's supply and demand. The demand for the 5800 cards is high and there's no reason for ATI to drop the prices quite yet, especially with the Nvidia 300 series far off.

ClemSnide 4 years ago

Pretty nifty for the casual user who wants a cheap (yet state-of-the-art) rig! I'm happy with my 5850, but it's nice to see a company publishing a roadmap for releases and sticking to it.

digitaldd 4 years ago

Had this card been available back in November when I built my last rig I would have jumped all over it. Its isn't much slower than a 5750 [which is what I'm rocking] and has no external power requirements. Plus it should run Witcher EE, Torchlight, NWN2, L4D, TQIT and any other game I would throw at it well enough @ 1440x900 maybe 1680x1050 [hopes].

gibbersome 4 years ago

Torchlight, NWN2 have pretty low requirements. How do you think it'll fare with Assassin's Creed 2?

digitaldd 4 years ago

[quote user="gibbersome"]

Torchlight where your character is in a small area with many monsters can be quite taxing on a video card. I had it crash with everything turned all the way up on certain dungeons and the only way to get past that part was to lower the detail level until I passed a certain area where it kept crashing on me at very high detail and high detail on shadows.

I'm not interested in AC2 to be honest. L4D2 maybe..

gibbersome 4 years ago

I didn't consider hordes of enemies, yeah I can see it taxing your 5750. You'll most likely run into the same issues on L4D2.

Mass Effect 2 is another one that I'd be keeping in the back of my mind when considering a new PC purchase. My laptop is not able to run Dragon Age: Origins smoothly, even on the lowest settings.

rapid1 4 years ago

I to use a 5850 Clemsnide and am very happy with it. I have not been gaming much as of late. I am waiting for the Star wars MMO to hit it is definitely what I'm looking forward to. Either way I have been busy and have logged into Vanguard which is a pretty demanding game and can run absolute maximum settings with ease. I will also say one specific thing on the current ATI offerings there energy usage threshold as well as cooling and operating temps are very low.

bob_on_the_cob 4 years ago

Looks like a decent card. Cool that it supports eyefinity, but is it really fast enough to run 3 monitors?

I guess maybe a lot of RTS games would run on three monitors fine with this horsepower.

Edit: Also how far off are the Nvidia DX11 cards?

bighorse 4 years ago

These range cards are awesome! With many sub-$100 cards, ATI and Nvidia have to keep them powerful. This card looks like it has plenty to offer for the price. Not a super gaming card but will add great power to the home PC, HTPC, or the work pc that you want to do some secret gaming on HEHEHEHE.

gibbersome 4 years ago

Yeah, it's no slouch either, it matches or beats the 240M at around the same price point.

Interestingly you have three ATI cards, the 5670, 5750, 5770 that can be squeezed in between the GT 240 and 260. It gives the impression that the ATI line up is very mid-bottom heavy.

Also, by their nomenclature, you'd expect the 5450 to match up with the GT 240, but this is not the case at all.