Here's a nice treat for AMD
Radeon HD 7970 videocard owners as you get ready to end the work day and head into weekend. The Santa Clara chip maker just released its 8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon HD 7900 driver so all you early adopters can squeeze a little bit of extra performance out of your graphics card.
Performance highlights include up to a 250 percent performance improvement in TessMark (OpenGL when set to "insane" levels. That's crazy, and also of limited usefulness, though the driver also boosts performance in a handful of popular titles, including:
- Up to 8 percent in Aliens vs. Predator
- Up to 15 percent in Battleforge with Anti-Aliasing enabled
- Up to 3 percent in Battlefield 3
- Up to 3 percent in Crysis 2
- Up to 6 percent in Crysis Warhead
- Up to 10 percent in F1 2010
- Up to 5 percent in Unigine with Anti-Aliasing enabled
The driver also resolves a whole bunch of issues, including stability quirks related to Folding@Home and a few other goofs, all of which you can examine in the release notes.