1.4Tbps Internet Speeds? BT And Alcatel-Lucent Say They've Done It

There’s really no other way to say it: BT and Alcatel-Lucent claim that they’ve reached Internet speeds of 1.4Tbps over an existing fiber connection. To be clear, that terabits, not gigabits; we’ve covered a good amount of news related to the latter lately because almost nobody has access to those kinds of speeds as it is.

So, yes, terabit Internet speeds. The companies conducted this field trial in the UK, using a fiber link between the BT Tower in London and the company’s Adastral Park research facility in Suffolk. The underlying technology is a flexible grid infrastructure called “Flexgrid” that ups the density of each transmission channel and varies the gaps between them. This ostensibly allows for up to 42.5% more data transmission efficiency.

fiber
(Credit: Wikipedia/Shuli Hallak)

The feat is incredible, and although this was just a trial, it’s astonishing that the team was able to accomplish such speeds. To put it in perspective, that sort of bandwidth would allow you to transmit 44 uncompressed HD movies in one second.

We can’t help but feel like we’re on the verge of a massive expansion of Internet capabilities. We’re seeing a lot of lab tests that portend speeds many times faster than anything most people have access to, and trials like this one by BT and Alcatel-Lucent are simply mind-blowing.

fiber
(Credit: Wikipedia/Bidgee)

It’s important to temper expectations, of course; lab speeds and trials are one thing, but real-world applications, infrastructure build-out, regulatory issues, and more are quite another, and all of the aforementioned require years of work.

Still, it’s getting easier to imagine a world where the current Internet speeds most of us can afford and have access to will be considered downright quaint, just as dial-up seems ancient to all the folks with broadband. And that’s an exciting future, indeed.
Via:  MarketWatch
Comments
SeanBlack 11 months ago

So if I cold at least get DOCSIS 3.0 speeds...that'd be great.

PaulMcCabe 11 months ago

That's great maybe now BT can uncap my fibre

DJae 11 months ago

Cool, they can replace my line with that now that my 26mbps line does 3mbps max..

JeremyBrush 11 months ago

anyone else notice the black cap in the second picture says FAP? lol

OkendoOO 11 months ago

Jose Francisco Barrundia

JoseFranciscoBarrundia 11 months ago

shhhh 512kbs rules vos Okendo OO

MikeValencia 11 months ago

It means nothing if they can't get it in my home :(

EzHunt 11 months ago

Well I have 50 mbps down and 35 up but few sites I up or download from have even 1/5 the speed. Steam max download at 7.2mbps the fastest I have ever got is when Defiance updates- that is over 26mbps. So having all the speed on earth means nothing if the other end does not and or is capped.

CliffVincent 11 months ago

and when can they install this in my bathtub?

infinityzen1 11 months ago

Since most sites cap the max bandwidth per user, really fast connections are for multi-tasking /multi-user situations.

On my current 50mbps I have never hit near its peak from a single site. However, just last night I was pulling a 3~4mbps from Steam (what Steam normally maxs for me), ~7mbps from Battle.net, a file download at 3.2mbps, a 1080p Youtube video, and my wife was watching Netflix on the TV. Not a hiccup to be seen.

In fact, going back though my last three ISPs (30, 50, and 50) that has been the situation. Sadly, each was worse then the last since my current maxes at 50, the one before now maxes at 90, and the one from nearly 7 years ago is 100 with 200 burst.

BretHall 11 months ago

7MBps would be max for 50mbps on your connection Infinity (close to it at least).

I have 100mbps and get 14-15MBps from Steam; so I wonder why Steam doesn't give you full bandwidth -- mines does. Huh.

InfinityzeN1 11 months ago

I got no idea what is up with Steam.  I never seem to pull more than 3~3.2 from them.  No problem from anyone else.