Samsung Galaxy Note Catches Fire Injuring South Korean Man

Samsung Galaxy Note Catches Fire Injuring South Korean Man

Every once in a while, one of our beloved gadgets has some kind of meltdown and creates a major inconvenience. More rarely, one has a real meltdown and actually causes injury. That’s what allegedly happened to a South Korean man who was carrying a battery for a 2011 Samsung Galaxy Note. Reports show the hapless smartphone user ended up with burns to his leg when the battery caught fire in his pocket.

Samsung Galaxy Note

It’s not clear whether the battery was the one that came with the Galaxy Note, or whether it was a third-party replacement battery. In any event, this is the second time that a South Korean has reported a Samsung smartphone battery catching fire. But although lithium-ion batteries have had a few very public disasters (just ask Boeing), they’re not known for being particularly unstable.

Although there are plenty of reputable battery brands, it’s easy to pick up garbage from low-end retailers. As with so many things, you get what you pay for with batteries. Then again, even those of us who like a deal don't expect to end up with a fire in our pocket.
+1
+ -

Probably an ebay battery. It's not uncommon for people to replace the batteries with higher capacity batteries in an attempt to get more battery life out of their device.

+1
+ -

I'll take shorter bat life and keep my facial features, thanks.

+1
+ -

News:

It’s not clear whether the battery was the one that came with the Galaxy Note, or whether it was a third-party replacement battery.

..or whether it was even a battery, or whether this even happened.

+1
+ -

Hey come on now. If it's printed on the Internet, it happened.

+1
+ -

Dave_HH:
Hey come on now. If it's printed on the Internet, it happened.

LOL! like the guy in the commercial is really a French Model.

 

0
+ -

Here's the Chosun Ilbo newspaper article with picture of the battery.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/02/04/2013020401251.html

+1
+ -

Hmmm... no names. "a 55-year-old man reported the previous day that his smartphone battery blew up in the pocket of his pants"... they didn't say it was in a phone. And, the only picture is from a different incident last year.

"The man said he was carrying a Samsung Galaxy Note along with a spare battery in his pocket before they suddenly blew up." Both of them? Spontaneously and simultaneously? Or did a crappy spare battery set everything on fire?

I'm guessing this was just a cheap knock-off battery.

0
+ -

"Note on Fire" (sung by Johnny Cash):

A Note is a burning thing,
And it makes a fiery ring.
Bound by pants attire,
It smoked then caught on fire.

My Note smoked and caught my pants on fire,
They went down, down, down and the flames went higher.
And it burned, burned, burned, the Note on fire.
The Note on fire.

+1
+ -

LOL!

Take Note of that!

0
+ -

FJ, you gotta write one up to the tune "God'll Cut You Down" next!

Login or Register to Comment
Post a Comment
Username:   Password: