Budweiser’s Buddy Cup Connects Facebook Friends That Meet Out on the Town

Forget about that awkward moment when you contemplate whether or not to whip out your smartphone and start asking for Facebook credentials at the local pub, only to find out the person you're drinking with isn't in to you. Budweiser has come up with what it believes is a better and more natural way to add to your social circle when meeting up for a cold one -- just clank your cup.

Not any ordinary cup, mind you, but Budweiser's new Buddy Cup, which is a specially designed beer glass with an embedded chip inside that links to Facebook.

Buddy Cup

When you first arrive at a Budweiser sponsored party, concert, or festival, the bottom of the cup is scanned with your smartphone to link up with your Facebook account. Then whenever you toast someone else who also has a Buddy Cup, the two of you instantly become Friends on Facebook, as confirmed by a red LED that lights up on the cup. Check it out:

Could you see yourself using something like this?
Via:  The Drum
Comments
rdsoxfan1234 one year ago

HAHA that's pretty funny. I guess it makes some sense. And I don't know if you would actually use this. I usually have to know the person pretty well before I friend them.

Clixxer one year ago

Oh Budweiser, always trying to help the man out. Pretty cool but what happens if someone clanks your cup you don't want to be friends with?

Pretty cool though, drink beer and friend some good looking girls!

Johnny3D one year ago

[quote user="Clixxer"]Pretty cool but what happens if someone clanks your cup you don't want to be friends with?[/quote]

I suppose you just "unfriend" them. I know... Obvious answer is obvious. ;)

Clixxer one year ago

[quote user="Johnny3D"]

I suppose you just "unfriend" them. I know... Obvious answer is obvious. ;)

Yeah but that is alot of work. Obvious yeah heh

Johnny3D one year ago

That's actually kind of cool. Not something I personally would be using, but a neat idea just the same. :)

ajm531 one year ago

hmmm i think hackers who for whatever reason could steal a lot of facebook data. Other than that its a neat idea but man there could be a lot of accidental friending.

sevags one year ago

haha I agree with clixxr what if someone doesn't want their cup bumped? I can see myself now drunk as hell going around purposely bumping everyone's cups a I walk by!

rrplay one year ago

Did someone say Budweiser ? hey @DerMeister Beer  cheers man Stick out tongue  Don't worry @realneil  me and @amdcrankdattpuppyup-&-and-cool-it-with-sum-tall-boys   got ya covered. Beer

Clixxer one year ago

[quote user="sevags"]

lol Yeah now that I think about it this would happen. I would yell 'Murica, raise my cup to the toasting to random people.

MayhemMatthew one year ago

They are trying to solve a problem that doesnt exist.

Kidbest100 one year ago

ugh... This sounds so stupid to me...

I would be able to see some super wasted guy just wandering around bumping cups with everyone within reach...

Either that or you accidentally bump someone and now... BOOM! You are now friends on Facebook instantaneously, and they can now see all your personal information (Depending on your privacy settings)

It just doesn't seem to be that reasonable to me...