Was XP Microsoft's Last Good OS?

Windows Vista: complaints, complaints, complaints.  Rightfully so, however.  Was XP the last good OS from Microsoft?

Everybody's talking today about "Drivergate" — internal Microsoft e-mails that show senior Microsoft executives personally struggling to use hardware products sporting the "Windows Vista Capable" sticker. The e-mails also show that Microsoft lowered its standard for some hardware compatibility, apparently to help Intel impress Wall Street.

This revelation is simply the latest in a long series that add up to one inescapable conclusion: Windows Vista sucks. (And making it cheaper won't help, either.)

Microsoft needs to learn to stop using email.  Honestly, every case that goes against them seems to use emails as a major source of evidence.

The writer is correct that simply reducing the price is not going to fix it. Will SP1 help? If Microsoft can't even get the the prerequisite patches working right, it's not going to give end users a warm fuzzy feeling about installing SP1.

Via:  ComputerWorld
Tags:  Microsoft, XP, OS, MIC, icrosoft, Micro
Comments
recoveringknowitall 6 years ago

Is Vista @ the point of no return? In other words is it totally out of the question for MS to bail out on Vista and possibly integrate DX10 into XP?

viperfour 6 years ago

I never upgraded to Vista and am glad I didn't after hearing about all the problems with it.  Just like Win Me I never upgraded to that either so it looks like I missed two of Microsoft's OS Blunders and will be looking forward to Windows 7 when it is released.  :)

jtm55 6 years ago

Hi All

I think it's safe to say that Vista has been a Major Flop. Microsoft released Vista late & without a lot of the features it was supposed to have. Initially Microsoft along with their OEM Partners wanted all new built Computers to have Vista Pre Installed. Once folk got Vista & saw that it didn't perform as advertised, they complained,Loudly. Microsofts partners, Dell, HP & others told Microsoft that they wanted more XP Licenses. That in itself pretty much told the story of how the general public felt about Vista. IMHO Microsoft made a big mistake tying DirectX 10 to Vista. They wrongly believed that by doing so they would force folk to move over to Vista. Microsoft didn't take into account that other than themselves, no other Game Developer would release DirectX 10 exclusive titles. I believe that Microsoft will wind up biting the bullet on this one.

Super Dave 6 years ago

[quote user="News"]Was XP the last good OS from Microsoft?[/quote]

Before Vista was released everyone complained how bad XP was! My how times have changed...

jtm55 6 years ago

Hi All

[quote user="Super Dave"]

[quote user="News"]Was XP the last good OS from Microsoft?[/quote]

Super Dave 6 years ago

[quote user="jtm55"]Correct me if I'm wrong, but when XP was released did the OEMs demand that Microsoft continue issuing Windows 98 licenses?[/quote]

Hah hah! I wasn't doing the PC thing back then so I couldn't answer that!

PoLiticaLLyInCorrEct 6 years ago
[quote]

Hi All

That is correct. Windows XP suffered from many issues just like Vista upon release. Windows XP performed less then stellar compared to Windows 98SE (even compared to Windows 2000 Pro).

Vista is a pretty good OS, far more reliable then Windows XP (when operating for extensive hours). It has it's issues with older software but that's about it.

frg1 6 years ago

i still think i will wait for sp1

Crisis Causer 6 years ago

Service Pack 1 isn't looking too hot right now.  I know there are articles out there somewhere that are pretty negative towards the initial SP1 testing.  Vista really isn't an attractive option, at all.  Windows 7 better be good or it might be XP for life.

trueg50 6 years ago

Literally 90% of those users have not tried Vista for more than 10 minutes. Also most of those folks are about 2-3 years old when it comes to IT and business, they think Microsoft will just switch to Windows 7 in 2008.

jtm55 6 years ago

[quote user="trueg50"]

Hi All

Do you know that for a fact?

werty316 6 years ago

A recent price cut on Vista should indecate its not as popular as Microsoft hoped for so yes, I would say XP was Microsoft's last good OS.

frg1 6 years ago

a price cut and an overall better experince should come after a little while just like xp lets hope its not too late for vista when these changes come

mentaldisorder 6 years ago

I do believe XP became great after sp2 was released, before that all you'd hear was complaining.

kohan69 6 years ago
IF you consider Server 2003 XP, then yes.
trueg50 6 years ago

Wow, has any one here even used Vista?

Use it, try it, this author clearly didn't, or he just used it for 10 minutes at the local Best Buy.

For me there is not going back, this beats the crap out of XP.

UAC can be disabled in 2 minutes, Driver support for even x64 Vista is flawless, resource use is pathetic (5% tops for me), It is infinantely snappied and so much less buggy than XP, this is everything XP should have been.

If there is any issue with Vista it is the media, they killed it, various completely ludicrist claims about it. Everyone I know that doesn't like Vista got that from a friend of a friend source, everything from Vista using 2 gb of RAM (it is called Superfetch and it not only dynamically scales with various amounts of RAM, but surrenders down to 200mb if needed), to Vista being buggy or having ludicrist requirements (quad core, 4 gb RAM etc..)

1nteljunki3 6 years ago
Thank you for posting that, because that is the simple reality of the situation.

I have rolled out Vista on 2 enterprise class networks, and aside from the slow network transfers (that are fixed in SP1), it was infinitely easier and smoother than XP. I've had no problems with drivers, computer performance after 1 week was fine, and I've had much more time to play World of Warcraft between service desk calls as a result.

To all the naysayers out there, please ask an IT professional their opinion, those that have deployed Vista and learned the ins and outs of the operating system and how it pertains to real world scenario's, and I think you'll see an entirely different picture. Just my two cents on the subject.
trueg50 6 years ago

Finally an IT guy with experience I can ask a question.

How does UAC work for your users?

Does it prompt you if your a domain / enterprise level user?

Does it ask at the same places regardless of rights/permissions?

Did you use Vista x32 or x64 bit?

I am jsut curious as I want to get ready to shift several networks over to Vista.

Now that I really know the ins and outs of XP / Vista, I find other OS's pretty tough to use.

1nteljunki3 6 years ago
I turned off the UAC in group policy so that my users would not have to worry about the prompts, but at the same time only allow administrators to install any applications, so there's no need for it anyway.

Remote installation services, by the way, seems to work much better in Vista. It's been a pleasure to work with and when everyone goes home at night and leaves their PC's on, I can rollout what I need to for updates to programs like quickbooks without having to worry about people coming in to crashed PC's.
jtm55 6 years ago

[quote user="trueg50"]

Wow, has any one here even used Vista?

For me there is not going back, this beats the crap out of XP.

Hi All,

Why is then for every Positive Vista experience there seems to be 10 Negative ones. I know for a fact that the IT People here for Suffolk county as well as Nassau county here on Long Island want no part of Vista. What gives?

AjayD 6 years ago

Vista has the potential to be every bit as good as XP if not better. Unfortunately it will probably take Microsoft about 2 years worth of updates, as it did with XP, to get all the kinks ironed out.

frg1 6 years ago

true but isnt windows 7 due by then

peti1212 6 years ago

I have to agree and disagree with the article. Since I am using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-Bit, I know if there is something wrong or not. I had not experienced any problems with windows Vista, just a little one with my network. For some reason Vista has a harder time connecting to my Wireless connection than XP and also reports a lower signal. But other than that it is sweet, and better than XP if you disable all the crappy indexing, remote sh*t, and othe features. Works perfectly on my computer. Oh I just rememberd, and another minor problem is that you get around 1-2fps framerates in games. Not a biggie though.