Nearly Half of U.S. Consumers are Indifferent to 4G LTE, Survey Says

Wireless carriers are spending big money rolling out high-speed 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks across the nation, and if a Piper Jaffray survey is any indication, almost half of American consumers are indifferent to the idea. At the same time, more than half of the 3,000 individuals polled said they're considering an iPhone 5 purchase, with 4G LTE being one of the big expected feature updates to Apple's next generation smartphone.

Some 47 percent of those surveyed said they don't need 4G LTE, while a little more than a quarter -- 26 percent -- told Piper Jaffray that all 4G network technologies are the same. Only 15 percent recognized 4G LTE as the best option, perhaps indicating that wireless carriers need to do a better job educating the masses on what all the fuss is about. We're reminded of a Saturday Night Live skit spoofing a Verizon employee who tries to explain what 4G LTE is to a customer, only to inundate him with a bunch tech jargon (see embedded video below).

Over half of the survey respondents were either unclear which carrier had the best 4G LTE network, or felt they're all the same. However, Verizon emerged as the fan favorite in the poll. Of those planning to buy an iPhone, 44 percent said they'll go with Verizon, followed by AT&T with 29 percent, and Sprint at 14 percent. Interestingly, 13 percent said they'd choose T-Mobile, the only carrier out of the four that doesn't carry the iPhone.
Via:  Appleinsider
Tags:  Mobile, Broadband, 4G LTE
Comments
Erakith 2 years ago

Lets take 100% of the American population and show it in terms of income, residential area, etc.

Then the 50% who lack interest in LTE will suddenly become clear.

insidesin 2 years ago

That clip can't be viewed from Canada. I'm going to guess it's a United States exclusive.

sevags 2 years ago

"Interestingly, 13 percent said they'd choose T-Mobile, the only carrier out of the four that doesn't carry the iPhone."

Who cares that they don't "have" an iPhone option since there are still millions of Americans using iPhones on tmobile. Isn't it more intereating that 13% chose the only network without any real 4g? (they use 3.5+).

AKnudson 2 years ago

I are with the seeming indifference of half the nation. Where i live there hasnt been a good 3g plan yet. So pinning my hopes or even noticing the 4g LTE version that seems to be rolling out in such fore doesn't really matter to me much.

AKnudson 2 years ago

I am with the seeming indifference...... etc. Sorry for the misspell but my computer won't let me edit my posts.

pwrntspd 2 years ago

I honestly just dont want to pay for it...3g or 4g...ill stick with wifi

nicoletoledo 2 years ago

I mainly use wifi anyways. So i dont really mind. Any will do

NNvn 2 years ago

The Pricing is awful and most people only browse and maybe some view youtube videos.. for them 3G suffice

NKR 2 years ago

4G is totally unnecessary for me.. I am happy with 3G..

JOMA 2 years ago
3G works fine for what I do. I use Wifi if I need to browse the web or download an app, for everything else 3G is okay.
KPhoenix 2 years ago

True.. and Most servers don't offer very high speeds... The only obvious benefit would be watching youtube videos

RTietjens 2 years ago

4G LTE is just another Marketing term. So who cares if you can burn up your monthly data quota in 2 hours instead of 6 hours? It's not even available in half the nation, and if it were, it's still so vastly overpriced for data that only a wealthy fool, or a desperate guy with no other data option, would choose it.

Lead_filler 2 years ago

Very True.. 4G is a very misleading term

Lead_filler 2 years ago

People will buy the latest Mobiles misleaded by this 4G term

JPrakash 2 years ago

I guess I am on the "Half of the US consumers" that don't care :P

MayhemMatthew 2 years ago

LTE makes a massive difference and since we dont pay extra for it in Canada (at least with Bell), why would I be against it?

CKr 2 years ago

True !

PKumar 2 years ago

If it costs same as 3G I would go for it

DDK 2 years ago

4G .. hope it brings low pings... so I can use my gaming laptop for online FPS gaming

RRajan 2 years ago

Now that is a thought

NSadhasivam 2 years ago

Gotta love that meh cat on the top of the article

rapid1 2 years ago

This is actually indicative of most things in technology. You are probably saying what but I learned many years ago customers do not have much knowledge of technology at all. In general they want it to do what they want it to do they do not want to know how, and they don't want you to teach them. Much of this was taught to me by family and close friends I helped out. Yes; I have worked in hardware/network end user and corporate support do 19 years now, I have been the desktop, workstation and laptop lead for Dell and HP/COMPAQ on several different occasions as well. What my family and friends taught me was to leave anything I did explain as simple as humanly possible and if it cannot be explained that way or I am not asked for more information to not even bring it up.

Now your saying ok why are you telling us this then and that is because this is the same thing. Apple did a very smart thing and I do not mean this in any way to be an insult. They made a smart phone and a mobile OS that is pretty much truly point and click on a basic open source base (that would be Linux as Apple OS's are based on a UNIX build that is not UNIX therefore it is basically another flavor of LINUX) that is simple enough for a basic user to use and feel as if there part of this technology thing, you can also go far above general use if your so inclined but there is no need. Android is just more complicated in general use.

Anyway the 4G term to begin with has been thrown around for years and therefore no one who is not moderately technically literate knows that A) there is any difference and B) why it would matter. I personally us T-Mobile and I got my initial smart phone so I could accept credit cards. I have grown very accustomed to it and moderately well versed in it now personally.

I am getting a replacement unit because activation of my GPS since the last update (of GOOGLE maps) has resulted in my phone restarting completely every time. It is not a GPS problem though it is an Android issue with the last update. SO T-MOUS is sending me a new phone and you know what I bet it does nothing to fix it but there tier 3 tech support does not know about the issue. If tier 3 tech support has no clue about any issue on forums concerning there brand specifically and this specific smartphone (A Sensation 4G no less) to the point of wasting there own money to send me a replacement unit, then how do expect a general user to know crap about what 4G is and what advantage it may provide over 3G really!