Is Apple Looking To AMD Over NVIDIA For Next Generation iMacs?

Apple's been known to be fickle when it comes to relationships with its hardware partners, and the latest evidence of that might be found in a job posting. The Cupertino company is in search of a Hardware Systems Electrical Engineer, one that has experience in either AMD or NVIDIA GPUs, it doesn't matter which. Or does it?

NVIDIA currently supplies the GPUs for Apple's newest generation all-in-one (AIO) iMac systems, and we haven't heard any chatter that suggests either side is unhappy with that relationship. It isn't necessarily odd that Apple is seeking an electrical engineer who might only have experience with AMD GPUs and not with NVIDIA, but it does open the door to speculation, if even just ever so slightly.

Apple iMac

The ideal candidate will be tasked with "electrical & system design integration of the iMac computer system" and "will be responsible for the design, implementation, integration, and qualification of complex computer systems." Knowledge of Intel chipsets is a must, as well as parallel memory interfaces (DDR3/GDDR5), but when it comes to GPUs, Apple seems rather indifferent.

It's probably much ado about nothing, but worth keeping an eye one.
Via:  TechEye
Comments
OSunday 2 years ago

This could be some great news for AMD, maybe apple will even offer options to choose between either AMD or Nvidia GPU's in the future.

A decision choice like that to be available would benefit everyone.

Dorkstar 2 years ago

What conspiracy theorist wrote this article?  I'm going to chalk this one up to someone's over thinking the job posting.

OSunday 2 years ago

Shhh don't go bubble bursting, just keep hoping for the best so AMD can get the little push it needs haha

Dorkstar 2 years ago

[quote user="OSunday"]

I can't agree more, but this job posting is about as descriptive as samsung's "the world is waiting" video.

OSunday 2 years ago

I see you're point..

"The world is waiting"... for what? And are you sure they're waiting if they don't even know what they're waiting for? lol

costinul_ala 2 years ago

i am sure they already have such experts. it is not like they fired everybody , they used to have amd graphics.

Der Meister 2 years ago

thought I like intel cpus better, I hope AMD, looking to make some  $ on their stock...

ricofrost 2 years ago

Good for AMD bad for apple fans, intel are far better then amd right now.... hate to say it but they are. AMD was in front for a few yrs but has been lagging behind.

OSunday 2 years ago

Maybe in terms of processors alone, but I think it's talking graphics wise here. AMD Vs. Nvidia in terms of market share leans heavily towards Nvidia but when you compare the performance of the products they each beat each other out in different categories from low resource to high resource demanding applications.

Apple using AMD for graphics wouldn't be a bad thing for Apple fans at all, depending on what GPU they select from AMD to use in the next generation of iMacs

Nethersprite 2 years ago

Apple using AMD is definitely not a bad thing...in the realm of laptops though. I would wholeheartedly support Apple for releasing a MacBook Air (or for that matter even a Pro) with an AMD APU with Radeon graphics and not an Intel HD4000 chip. I mean, seriously guys?

I've never been a huge ATI/AMD fan (usually the drivers are far buggier than nVidia's) but it's a moot point in OSX. Besides, not being Windows (read here: DirectX), doesn't OSX use OpenGL drivers (which ATI/AMD has usually been better at)?

OSunday 2 years ago

My mom owns a couple of iMac's that I'm almost 99% sure have AMD integrated graphic solutions and they worked great for photo/video editing and the occasional gaming I'd play on them.

sevags 2 years ago

Hasn't apple had the choice for a while? I know that early 2009 model all in one iMacs had 3 nvidia video options (9400m, 120, and 130) and if you bought the most expensive model you had a choice of a higher end AMD card

OSunday 2 years ago

I don't think so? I think certain generations of iMacs have been restricted specifically to who they were in a contract with. I don't know the exact time frames that it was Nvidia or AMD though

realneil 2 years ago

My iMac 24" had a 1GB Radeon GPU in it. (also an "Extreme" series CPU)

It worked well.

OSunday 2 years ago

Yup, the one I used (still unsure and unable to check ATM) had a Radeon GPU as well and ran Starcraft II and a few other relatively recent games on Medium