Glasses-Free 3D TVs Said To Be Coming By 2015

3D may be the "big thing" right now, but it's still too early to tell whether it's consumers that are driven the demand, or the companies that are invested in the technology. Yes, 3D cinema has gone over well, but it's still too early to tell whether even that is just another fluke. Remember, the world has seen 3D in cinemas before, and it never did manage to sustain a growth pattern.

One of the major gripes about 3D, including NVIDIA's own 3D Vision system, is the glasses that you have to wear. There's just no avoiding the fact that wearing glasses to enjoy content is a huge pain, and for many, it's simply unacceptable. The solution isn't easy, but it's out there in prototype form. It's "Glasses-Free 3D," and it's exactly what it sounds like: 3D, without the glasses.

Intel, among other companies, have demonstrated glasses-free 3D solutions before, but none are advanced enough to get out onto the market and rival the glasses-based solutions now. Taiwan's Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) displayed a 42-inch glasses-free 3D LCD TV this week, using parallax barrier technology to create the 3D effect on the TV, and according to a local research group, this kind of technology could be suitable for the market place by 2015. That's obviously still a very long ways away, but it's possible that the glasses-based 3D craze will be entirely over and done with by that point.

What do you think about the future of 3D? Does it even have a future? Or only with a glasses-free savior?

Via:  ComputerWorld
Tags:  HDTV, TV, 3D, Sales
Comments
AKwyn 4 years ago

While I do think that they should of used RealD on the 3DTV's in the first place. This is a pretty good advancement in itself, though I do not expect it to be cheaper, despite the lack of glasses.

Super Dave 4 years ago

[quote user="News"]There's just no avoiding the fact that wearing glasses to enjoy content is a huge pain, and for many, it's simply unacceptable.[/quote]

The only thing worse than having to wear glasses is having to PAY for them, and in case you haven't priced 3D glasses you're in for a big shock! Take a look at THESE beauties.

bob_on_the_cob 4 years ago

Oh yeah dave. Could you imagine trying to get your friends over for a movie. BYOG.

la_guy_10 4 years ago

This may work, meaning glasses-free but again as I have said many times before its definitely not ready for prime time as its being packaged and sold.

Perhaps 2015 people will be looking for the next big thing in entertainment and 3D will fill that role, time will tell. As for today LCD, plasma, and the new technology LED rules the roost IMO.

rapid1 4 years ago

yeah la_guy I agree with you. The thing with 3D to as I said on the 3D computer article is that this is not 3D it is 2D with some 3D effects added in. When I can turn all the way around and look up and down in an environment it is 3D. When I look at a screen and some stuff comes out of it that is an effect. Yes it may be added, but this currently being used definition of 3D was invented when in the 50's!

In the 50's any computer in my house would have beaten the most powerful super computer on the planet, even the ones in secret labs the public never saw, and would have done so at a minimum of +100%. Heck most people did not even have a phone at home, and or it was just becoming somewhat of a norm.

Marius Malek 4 years ago

Hmm, this is coming out quicker then I had originally expected. I agree with you rapid1, however I think consumers (at least most mind you) will know what they are paying for. I would crap my pants if objects actually came out of the TV and into time/space in my room. But I know that isn't going to happen. And least not within the next 5 years haha.

But it's like I said in a previous thread regarding 3D. Don't throw this at the consumers like it's your last ditch effort to make some coin. Test the waters, and see how the market is doing.

I mean guys...LED TV's JUST came out not too long ago. Many consumers are still paying off that debt, they aren't ready for another piece of merchandise yet.

But I understand that this is a companies way of trying to stay on top of pop culture. Yeah, 3D is popular in theaters because you aren't spending thousands of dollars.

3vi1 4 years ago

>> What do you think about the future of 3D? Does it even have a future?

These 3D consortiums  are doing it all wrong.

3D adoption will happen whenever it is embraced by the adult film industry, and the form first and wholeheartedly embraced will become the standard.  If the 3D hardware vendors made some 6-month loans of hardware, 3D would be the standard by 2012.

Super Dave 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]3D adoption will happen whenever it is embraced by the adult film industry[/quote]

Yikes, I hadn't even considered that aspect of 3D!

3vi1 4 years ago

Yeah... people tend to ignore that part of the VHS vs. Betamax wars.... and Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD (The japanese jumped right on Blu-Ray) wars.

What it comes down to is that young techies with too much money drive early adoption... so what's going to get those initial sales? Us old folks are too wary or buying in early, since we've seen competing proprietary solutions die many times before.

Super Dave 4 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]Yeah... people tend to ignore that part of the VHS vs. Betamax wars.... and Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD [/quote]

Remember the LASERDISC and the ELCASET?

Super Dave 4 years ago

Take a stroll down Memory Lane and view the old Laserdisc players HERE and the old Elcaset HERE!

Super Dave 4 years ago

Sigh, THAT was really fast.

ruzveh 4 years ago

Well i agree to it. I wud never want to wear a glass to enjoy something. I m not so imressed with 3D videos. Anyways i m ok with led at the moment which is much better.. wud not mind trying out 3d without glasses if its chea

zeddy123 4 years ago

I think 3D adoption will initially be driven by sports channels. Some channels are already broadcasting the odd major game in 3D, at least in Australia

bob_on_the_cob 4 years ago

I think sports events would be fun to watch in 3D.